Originating from Australia, Eucalyptus holds far more benefits than simply being a well-known favorite of the koala bear. In the form of high-quality essential oils, eucalyptus is a must-have for any at-home spa.
With all of the reasons to love eucalyptus oil, here are 3 that we'd like to highlight:
- It can help to deter pests – While humans love the fresh, cool, and sweet scent of eucalyptus aroma oil, pests don’t feel quite the same way. For thousands of years a combination of eucalyptus and citrus oils has been used as a natural deterrent against pests and bugs. With the scent of eucalyptus on the skin, a person may be able to enjoy more outdoor time with fewer mosquitos and other pests trying to put a damper on their good time. Not just for the skin, this combination may be used on indoor houseplants or on surfaces in at-home cleaners to deter pests that may be hiding inside.
- Instant refreshment – Eucalyptus is one of the most refreshing essential oils when used in aromatherapy. It’s able to cleanse and clarify the mind and body as one breathes in the sweet aroma, making it perfect for midday or post-activity baths. Because it does so well to refresh the mind, smelling authentic essential oil of eucalyptus may also help to invigorate and inspire creativity when feeling a “slump”.
- It has great versatility – Soft, sweet, and just a tad citrusy, eucalyptus is perfect for combining with other essential oils. Peppermint, lemon, rosemary, thyme, lavender, chamomile, lemongrass, bergamot, and juniper are just some of the most popular picks for creating a delightful eucalyptus-based aroma.
What Does Eucalyptus Smell Like?
Unlike lemon, ginger, or lavender, eucalyptus may not be something that the average person has the ability to experience regularly in certain parts of the world. The aroma of eucalyptus comes from the terpenes found in the plant – eucalyptol, cineol, pinene, and limonene. Eucalyptol gives the oil its distinctly cool and minty aroma, while pinene and cineol add woodiness and the scent of green fresh air, and limonene rounds out the aroma with a clean, zingy, and tart citrus note.
When joined together, eucalyptus opens up with an immediate peppermint-like note, comes through with a woodsy aroma, and then finishes up with a zesty lemon zing.
Epsom Salt Bath Soaks With Eucalyptus Oil
Eucalyptus oil is an at-home spa must, so it’s no surprise that it can be found in a vast array of different epsom salt blends. These blends are typically created to offer soothing, relaxing, and refreshing feelings, with eucalyptus lending to the power of the blend. Some epsom salt blends where eucalyptus oil shines are:
- Muscle Soak – Muscle Soak really highlights the cooling and refreshing nature of eucalyptus. This blend combines USP grade epsom salt with essential oils of eucalyptus and peppermint, creating a blend that is made to energize and clarify with every soothing soak. A simple soak, the peppermint really intensifies the minty nature of eucalyptus, while the woodiness and citrus notes help to round out the blend for a relaxing and soothing experience.
- Gentleman’s Soak – Gentleman’s Soak embraces the woodsy or outdoorsy nature of eucalyptus oil. Joining eucalyptus in this epsom salt blend are essential oils of cedarwood, frankincense, and peppermint to create a blend reminiscent of a breath of fresh air. Not just for gentlemen, it’s a soak that’s perfect for anyone looking to emulate the feeling of the great outdoors in their very own at-home spa.
- Ancient Secret – Ancient Secret is a soak that takes a bit of a different spin with eucalyptus. Rather than playing on its cooling nature, like in Muscle Soak or Gentleman’s Soak, it uses eucalyptus to round out and balance a distinctly warm and comforting blend. USP grade epsom salt is joined by fractionated MCT coconut oil, Vitamin C crystals, and Vitamin E oil, and then given aroma by essential oils of eucalyptus, frankincense, sandalwood, peppermint, and cedarwood.
- Athlete Bath Salt – Athlete is cool, outdoorsy, and endlessly refreshing, making it perfect for winding down after a good run or a period spent in the gym. The aromatherapy blend found in this salt consists of eucalyptus, pine, and peppermint, giving aroma to USP grade epsom salts, fractionated MCT coconut oil, and Vitamin E oil. Eucalyptus is used in this blend to marry the minty notes in peppermint to the wood notes in the pine, creating a perfectly balanced experience.
- Back Soothing – Eucalyptus is well-known for its soothing properties, and when joined in Back Soothing by peppermint, lavender, and grapefruit it helps to join together a powerfully relaxing mix. The minty notes in Eucalyptus work well with the peppermint, the citrus notes with the grapefruit, and the fresh notes with the lavender, so you have an epsom salt blend with complete balance. With all-natural essential oils, the aromatherapy remains authentic throughout the entirety of a deeply soothing soak.