For those wondering how to make a sitz bath, whether to soothe hemorrhoids or just for some comforting relaxation, the process is a simple one. You don’t need a bathtub to enjoy a sitz bath, and they can be enjoyed conveniently by anyone.
The Ways To Enjoy A Sitz Bath
There are 3 main ways to enjoy taking a sitz bath. These are:
- Using a toilet sitz tub – A sitz bath for toilet is the easiest way to enjoy a sitz bath, and they can be used anywhere one has a toilet to attach the bath to. A small basin attaches to the back of the toilet bowl, where it is then filled with warm water and a chosen epsom salt soaking blend. The bather sits on the toilet with their bottom submerged in the basin, and then it can be tipped right into the toilet bowl for easy cleanup.
- Large soaking basin – For some, the same large basin they use for foot soaks can play double duty by becoming a sitz soaking tub as well. To take a bath in this way, fill the basin with warm water and epsom salt, then sit in the basin for around 20 minutes. Depending on how accessible the basin is, you may wish to take your soak near a surface you can use to safely lift yourself up after the soak is finished.
- In a traditional bathtub – For those with traditional bathtubs, you can take a sitz bath this way as well. Rather than completely filling the tub as you may for a traditional bath, fill it only with about 3 to 4 inches of water – just enough to completely submerge your bottom area. Once the tub is filled with warm water, add your chosen epsom salt blend, and prepare to sit in the tub for a good soak.
Making Your Soothing Bath
You may choose your sitz toilet tub, a traditional bath, or a soaking basin, and no matter your choice you can make a soothing bath experience happen. The first step to making your soothing bath is to add warm water to your chosen bathing area, and you want to make sure you get the temperature the just right. Water that is too warm or too cool may be uncomfortable and take away from your overall sitz bath experience.
Next, you’ll want to add your chosen sitz soak. To take a sitz bath, you’ll want to start with around 1 tablespoon of soak per gallon of warm water used and work your way up to 2 tablespoons per gallon if you wish to enhance your bathing experience. Some individuals like to keep it a bit lighter and stick with 1 tablespoon per gallon, while others prefer to add a bit more soak in order to maximize their soothing. The amount of soak you use may also be situation dependent, with some days feeling like you could use a little more and others a little less.
For those wondering how long to soak in epsom salt, the ideal timeframe is around 20 minutes. This gives the salt enough time to soothe and relax, while you get the maximum benefit from the essential oils used in your chosen blend. The epsom salts work to soothe the bottom area, while the essential oil aromatherapy soothes, relaxes, and even energizes from the inside out.
After your 20-minute soak is finished, it’s time to carefully lift yourself from the basin, bathtub, or sitz toilet bath. You may feel deep relaxation during this time, so it’s important to take lifting yourself from the tub slowly. After you’ve removed yourself from the tub, gently pat your skin dry with a soft, clean towel.
To clean up after your sitz bath is simple. In a standard tub, a good rinse with clean water is usually all that is necessary. For a soaking basin, you may wish to hose out the basin after the soak is through. In sitz toilet tubs, tip the water back into the toilet bowl, wash with a diluted gentle soap, and dry with a clean towel before storing the tub for next time.
Finding Your Favorite Blend
There are many different sitz blends to choose from for a soothing hemorrhoid soak. These include:
- Postpartum Sitz Bath Soak – Perfect for new moms, Postpartum Sitz Bath Soak is a gentle, soothing, and invigorating blend. USP grade epsom salts, fractionated MCT coconut oil, Vitamin E oil, and Vitamin C crystals are met with essential oils of grounding frankincense, relaxing lavender, fresh geranium, calming chamomile, and zesty lemon.
- Lilliuma Sitz Bath Salt – A simple and effective blend, Lilliuma’s Sitz Bath Salt uses mineral rich Mediterranean Sea salt instead of epsom salt. Alongside the Mediterranean Sea salt is fractionated MCT coconut oil, jojoba seed oil, Vitamin E oil, and essential oils of lavender, chamomile, and frankincense.
- Sitz Bath – Sitz Bath is a blend that is soothing and refreshing for all sitz bathing needs. This blend features USP grade epsom salt, fractionated MCT coconut oil, Vitamin E oil, Vitamin C crystals, and a complex blend of all-natural essential oils like lavender, frankincense, geranium, niaouli, and juniper.
Epsom salts with their power to soothe and relax can provide the bit of comfort needed by those who deal with the discomfort of hemorrhoid conditions. One may find a favorite “tried and true” blend, or they can switch between blends as their mood or their need determines.