You can take sitz baths or foot baths to soothe a particular area of the body. You can also choose the right essential oil blends to get the most out of each bath, too. Pure essential oils for bath really elevate the entire bathing experience.
Why Pure Essential Oils?
When incorporating aromatherapy into your bath, it’s important to keep things natural. Artificial fragrances can be cloying, offensive to the senses, or a cause for distraction. With essential oils, however, you get the complete power of the plant the oil was extracted from. Lavender comes from true lavender, geranium from geraniums, lemon from fresh lemons, and so on. It’s a way to incorporate natural herbs with wonderful a romas into your bath.
You may also enjoy essential oils if you are particularly sensitive to artificial fragrances. Artificial fragrances can ruin a bathing experience with discomfort, while essential oils work to create a more immersive bathing experience as a whole.
Popular Picks for Bath Essential Oils
Some essential oils are more popular than others. When it comes to incorporating oils into a nice bath, here are some of the most popular essential oils:
- Peppermint – Peppermint is cooling, soothing, and uplifting all at once. It’s a great post-workout pick, a great pick for pregnant women (assuming they got their doctor’s approvals to take baths), and a great midday or morning bath choice if you’re looking for a little natural invigoration. It’s a particularly popular choice for summertime baths as it can cool even in a warm tub.
- Lavender – Lavender is the ultimate relaxation essential oil. It’s been used for thousands of years to aid in feelings of relaxation and soothing, so it’s no wonder why it’s such a popular choice for all types of baths. For folks who like to take a warm bath before going to bed at night, lavender is a clear favorite.
- Geranium – Geranium essential oil is a natural mood booster and relaxation aid. It has an aroma that invokes a bit of rose, a little spice, and a touch of citrus, creating a scent profile that is comforting, fresh, and uplifting all at once. After a challenging day, an epsom salt blend with geranium essential oil is an excellent choice.
- Lemon – Few essential oils have a more refreshing and uplifting aroma than lemon. This essential oil can be paired with so much to create clean, zingy, and spa-like aroma profiles, and may commonly be found alongside lavender, ginger, frankincense, or peppermint. It’s a common choice for morning baths or midday pick-me-ups.
- Frankincense – Frankincense is sweet, woody, and earthy, making it an incredibly popular grounding aroma in a variety of essential oil blends. To create a balanced blend, you’ll want to have at least 1 aroma that keeps the rest in balance and frankincense is the perfect choice for that role. Alone, the aroma is comforting, warming, and relaxing.
How Does Aromatherapy Work In The Bath?
Aromatherapy can be enjoyed in a few different ways. Some may scent candles with essential oils, some may use diffusers, and others will incorporate aromatherapy with natural essential oils into their bath. Aromatherapy in the bath works simply, and there is little else you’ll need to do but drop some essential oil infused epsom salts into your bath water.
When epsom salts with essential oils are placed in the bath, the salts will dissolve, sending the essential oils into the bath water. As steam rises from the surface of the water, the droplets that make up the steam will contain the essential oils now dissolved throughout the tub. While you’re resting your feet, sitting, or laying back in the bath, you’ll breathe in this aromatic steam, giving you a gentle dose of all natural aromatherapy.
As you’re breathing in the aromas, you’ll begin to feel the power of the essential oils contained in the steam. With a peppermint and lemon blend, you may feel invigorated and soothed. With a lavender blend, you may begin to feel comforted and relaxed. A frankincense blend may leave you feeling grounded, warmed, and in balance.
Balanced Essential Oil Epsom Salt Blends For Your Bath
If you’ve never tried essential oils in your bath before, one of the simplest ways to get a high-quality experience is with epsom salt blends that contain all natural essential oils. Some top blend picks include:
- Detox Bath Salt – Fresh, zesty, and sweet, the Detox Bath Salt is the perfect aromatherapy blend to “wipe the slate clean”. After a long day, lemon and ginger essential oils work to provide a refreshing experience while comforting the body in a warm ginger fragranced hug. Leaving bathers feeling cleansed and balanced, it’s perfect for a morning or midday bath.
- Deep Relaxation Bath Soak – For before bedtime baths, Deep Relaxation is a simple epsom salt blend that relaxes the mind and body into the perfect state for restful sleep. Deep Relaxation uses only lavender essential oil, allowing it to have simple but highly effective aromatherapeutic power.
- Ancient Secret – Ancient Secret is a warming, comforting, and easy bath to really sink into. In this blend you’ll find essential oils of sandalwood, peppermint, eucalyptus, cedarwood, and frankincense; a grounded mix of refreshing and warming essential oils for a pleasantly centered experience in aromatherapy. For those who feel refreshed and relaxed while in the great outdoors, Ancient Secret may have the perfect aroma blend for you.