The quality of your mineral baths at home depends on the quality of salts that you use. There is a wide variety of salts you can use for a relaxing bath. Epsom salt and sea salt are two of the world’s favorites. Although both are called “salt” they are vastly different, and thus have different benefits to offer.
What is Epsom Salt?
Epsom salt is a mineral salt that comes from a bitter saline spring in Epsom, Surrey in England. While table salt is made of sodium chloride, Epsom salt is made of magnesium sulfate. Epsom salt is characteristically a transparent salt with a bitter taste. Epsom salt is called as such due to its similarity to table salt. Thanks to its mineral content, Epsom salt offers a wide variety of benefits. It has been used in England as a remedy for a variety of conditions since the 17th century.
Epsom salt is often mentioned in relation to mineral baths, and is rarely associated with the kitchen. This is because Epsom salt does not help with cooking. The best way to use Epsom salt is by adding it to your bath soak. When used as a bath salt, the skin absorbs the minerals that make up Epsom salt.
Benefits Of Epsom Salt
Here is a list of the uses and benefits of Epsom salt:
- Epsom salt in your bath soak can soothe your worries away and help you beat stress.
- When you soak in a warm Epsom salt bath before bedtime, you are likely to enjoy a good night’s rest. A warm bath by itself ia al
- If your muscles are tired after an intense workout, soak in an Epsom salt bath to recharge and rejuvenate.
- If you don’t have a bath tub, you can still enjoy the benefits of an Epsom salt foot soak. You’ll feel refreshed if you simply soak your feet for 10 to 20 minutes in your home foot spa.
- Epsom salt is often used to help exfoliate dry skin, so you can pamper it better with your skin care products.
- Epsom salt offers benefits even in the shower. You don’t even need a bathtub. Some people enjoy using Epsom salt to exfoliate their skin in the shower.
What Is Sea Salt?
Sea salt is created by evaporating salt water. The production of sea salt involves very little processing so much of the minerals contained by the body of water is retained. Mediterranean salt, which is made from the water of the Mediterranean Sea, contains traces of fluoride, potassium, iodine, and magnesium in addition to sodium chloride. The minerals contained by different types of sea salt depends on the body of water they are obtained from.
Sea salt is associated with both cooking and at home mineral baths. Sea salt contains more sodium chloride which gives it a salty instead of a bitter taste. However, it contains less sodium chloride which gives it a milder taste than regular table salt. What differentiates sea salt from Epsom salt is that it can either be ingested or used externally through baths.
Benefits Of Sea Salt
Sea salt contains a wide variety of minerals that feel great on the skin. Sea salt baths offer a detoxifying experience that can greatly improve your mood.
Sea salt bath soaks offer the same benefits that Epsom salt bath soaks provide. However, what Epsom soaks can’t offer is the “ocean feel” that you get when you’re soaked in sea salts. Feeling the ocean right in the comforts of your own home can truly improve your bath experience.
Epsom Salt Or Sea Salt?
The truth is none is better than the other. It is a matter of choosing which bath salt is most suitable for your needs. Better Bath Better Body offers a variety of Epsom bath salts and sea salts that target specific needs so it’s easier to choose the right salt for your at home mineral bath.